CASTLE OF CASTELLDEFELS
Paths with rich exotic vegetation especies guide you to the castle.
The castle is a strategic point to see the views of Garraf, Collserola, Barcelona plain, the Llobregat Delta and the coastline.
The castle’s chapel is Romanesque. It consists of a nave and a transept. Its outbuildings are the rectory, the sacristy and the cemetery. There is also a courtyard access.The history of the castle is since the 10th century onwards.
VISITSOpen day: The second Sunday of every month is free without tour guide.
Hours: 11 to 14h and 17 to 19h. From May to September until 20 pm.
Normal days you have the option to buy your own ticket with guide.
Duration: 1 hour.
Information point and ticket sales::
CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA
The church of Santa Maria is located in Plaza de la Iglesia.
When the castle’s parish church became a private building, because the castle’s owner wanted the building for his personal use. Consequently, he ordered the construction of a new temple in a property ceded by the widow of Mr. Arcadi Balaguer.
The architect, Enric Sagnier was in charge of the building of the new church, which started in 1903. The church is built in a Latin Cross plan with three apses. It is possible to see wall paintings by Serrasanta, the painter.
Nowadays, twelve are preserved. Most of them were built in the second half of the 16th Century, when Berber pirates raided frequently the coasts of the Iberian Peninsula and the Balear Islands.
These towers are at the moment private properties and they cannot be visited. These are the addresses of the different Guard Towers:
- Torre Barona: Av. Rei en Jaume. Dentro de las instalaciones del hotel Don Jaime.
- Torre de vigía: Pl. del Castell, sin número (centro).
- Torre Moruna: Pl. Torre Moruna (Urbanización Bellamar).
- Torre Gabriel Folcher: C. Arcadi Balaguer, 106.
- Torre de Antoni: C/ Isaac Peral.
- Torre Can Valls de la Muntanyeta: C/ Santiago Rusiñol (La Muntanyeta).
- Torre Can Moliner: Plaça Major, 41.
- Torre Climent Savall: C/ Arcadi Balaguer, 116.
- Torre Fael i Cal Patxoca: C/ 320, 18 – 22.
- Torre de Can Roca de Baix: C/ Bisbe Urquinaona, 17.
- Torre de Can Vinyes: Passeig de Can Vinyes, 49.
- Torre de Can Gomar: Casal de la Cultura de Castelldefels.
HOW TO ARRIVE
More information on the websitewww.castelldefels.org
FESTIVALS AND TRADITIONS
JANUARY5th Cabalgata de Reyes/ Eve of Epiphany’s float parade.
Saint Valentine’s Fair
APRIL23rd Saint George
Monologue Festival: Station’s theater Monologue
Feria Sant Ponç
JUNE23rd Saint John’s Eve
AUGUST“Gar and Got” legend
Summer’s Annual Festival
SEPTEMBEROld Cars’ Rally
11th Catalonia’s National Day
OCTOBERChestnut people’s fair
DECEMBERCastrum Fidelis’ fair
Winter’s Annual Fair